January 25, 2010

Things that make you go “hmm”

You can’t help but wonder when...

...someone comes out of the bathroom whistling
...an unsavy individual compliments your outfit
...flames ensue during a routine fire safety regulation seminar
..name brand popcorn pops worse than no-name
...people drink Tim Horton’s coffee instead of Starbucks

My absolutely fabulous co-worker, Julie, makes me smile. These are a couple of thoughts that she ran by me this morning. Can I just say there is nothing like a hilarious statement to start your week off! What a breath of fresh air! So the beginning of this post is a shout out to her!


I love God moments. I love it when he surprises me by encouraging me. Sometimes it’s through other people. Sometimes it’s through things I read. Sometimes it’s just a sense of his presence. I love that.

As you might know, I was supposed to go on a missions trip this past fall to the Ukraine. A series of events occurred, and well, that door closed. And I felt sad. There’s really no other word to describe it. Just sad. I was excited to finally get a chance to serve in a country that needed to see God’s tangible love. I was excited to encourage orphaned kids. I was excited for the opportunity to be used by God. And you can’t help but feel like a failure when something like that falls apart – even if the circumstances are out of your control. So since then, I’ve been looking for opportunities where I am, or for the future. I posted recently about how I was thinking about an addictions program and trying to figure out if that would be a route to take. I have since found something more specific to my interests.

In recent years, I have developed a desire to work with young teen girls who are struggling with eating disorders. I’ve seen firsthand the impact it can have – both on the individual and on the family and friends. I loathe the way our society instills in young girls that they are worth more if they are thinner. I discovered last week that a local college offers a degree upgrade course specifically on eating disorders – treatment plans, nutrition, diagnosis. I couldn’t believe how the specifics of this course are aligned perfectly with my interests. God moment? I think so. The job I’m in right now – I love the organization, I love the people, I even love what I’m doing sometimes (haha)...but administrative stuff is not my passion...people are! And I know God has me where I am for a reason, but having this course brought to my attention was like God was reminding me that he knows about my passions, and that I can still pursue them!

And so, I am. I’ve gathered information. I’ve dusted off old text books. And I’m saving now. Maybe this summer I’ll be able to take it. It’s nice to have something to look forward to. It’s nice to know my future is in God’s hands – and it was SO nice to see a slight glimpse of it! I took a step back - and it looks like I got to see just a little bit more of my mural!

“When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened” – John M. Richardson, Jr.

PS I’m the kind that makes it happen! God gives you a dream – pursue it with all your heart! :)

5 comments:

Dana Ezzet said...

That's so awesome, Laura! I'm so excited for you and can't wait to hear about what else God reveals to you :)

Tara said...

im excited for you too laura!! you're just wonderful :)

Laura said...

Laura! This is so exciting to read :) I think you'd be so perfect for this type of job/ministry and would make such a positive impact on many lives.
I also have this passion for teenage girls and all they go through... it's so tough! And so important to have someone in their life who they look up to and can trust. Oh, I think you'd be perfect!! :)
Have you heard of Mercy Ministries? Check it out, might be right up your alley... ;)
http://www.mercyministries.ca/

mom said...

You Go Girl!!! I love the last statement...and YES you are the kind that MAKES it happen. You pursue it!!! Can't wait to see what happens!! :o)
love you

Lindsay Erin said...

I found you! :)

And I vote that you run with that. As someone who is seeing her dream come true, it's so worth it! Do it! And although I do love seeing your lovely face around the office, you were made for way more than admin!

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com