January 26, 2010

The Art of Life

The theme as of late seems to keep coming back to inspiration and how we all vary when it comes to what it takes to stir a passion in us. Today I’m thinking about art. Perhaps because I have a fabulous new calendar with various art pictures for each month. Yes. I did cheat and look through the entire calendar, but already I can’t remember what February’s picture is – and I’m counting down the days ‘til I get to see it again.

Side note: I love surprises. Rarely do they occur for me. Not because I figure them out (even if I suspected something, I wouldn’t allow myself to come up with theories). I assume it’s because my face screams “trustworthy secret keeper” – I’m always the one that finds out about a surprise coming because the person planning it needs to share with at least one person. So....for me...surprises, when they do happen, make my day!!!

Side note rant over. Back to art.

Another reason why it’s on my mind today is because I recently created an iGoogle page (highly recommend) and one of the aps I chose was “Art of the Day”. I keep being reminded of these artists that I learned about in university: Jean-Honore Fragonard, Joy Garnett, J.M.W. Turner. I remember I took Fine Arts with Becky (my sister) when I was at Trinity, and one of our assignments was to go to an art gallery, find a painting, and sit in front of it. I remember us laughing about how ridiculous an assignment it was. We found a gallery downtown Vancouver. It was really, really small. The walls were white. The air was cold. I remember wandering around for a bit, trying to find my painting of choice – you can’t sit in front of just ANY painting for 20 minutes. Then I rounded a corner. There it was. I couldn’t tell you who it was that painted it. But it was bright yellow and orange. You could clearly see the brush strokes. I sat down on the window ledge. I stood in front of it. I stood at an angle. I’d never looked at art like that before. Suddenly that assignment didn’t seem so mundane. I love how much art is about perspective – your own, the artists, the angle. Life is about perspective too! I’m learning this. There’s always a different viewpoint, another approach. Yet another God lesson. Many a lessons to learn when you’re walking in LG’s shoes!

“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle” – Albert Einstein

1 comments:

mom said...

Once again a winner LG. I wish we had an art gallery like the one downtown Ottawa!!! Remember that one?
Live today as though the miracles of it are painted on YOUR canvas!!!
love you
mom

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com